Self or custom build homes

Self and custom build homes

If you wish to build your own home as a self-build or custom builder please fill in the expression of interest form

Self Build and Custom Build Expression of Interest Form

The Government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own home and wants to make this form of housing a mainstream housing option. The Council is required to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in their area in order to build homes for those individuals to occupy. In order to obtain a robust assessment of demand for this type of housing in their area, Braintree District Council is supplementing the data from the registers with secondary data sources such as that include building plot search websites, 'Need-a-Plot' information available from the Self Build Portal; and enquiries for building plots from local estate agents.

Self build

Self-build can be described as projects where the self-builder directly organises the design and construction of their new home. This can include a self-builder who actually does some of the construction work themselves but also where an architect or contractor is used to build the home which the self-builder has been involved in designing.

Custom build

Custom builds are more hands off and usually where a specialist developer co-ordinates the project. Both terms can be used to describe projects which can be for individuals or groups of people. They can be for private ownership or for shared ownership or rented.


View the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016

View the Draft Self-build and custom house-building: draft planning practice guidance

Updated April 2016