Apply for building control

Make a building control application

There are three types of building control application, and you need to decide which application is best for the work you are carrying out:

To make a building control application, you can: 

  • submit the application yourself
  • employ someone (such as a builder or architect) to help you
  • use someone registered with a competent person scheme to carry out your work

A notification must be submitted to the relevant building control body at least two working days before duty holders intend to start work. This time limit applies for non-higher-risk buildings but is extended to five working days for higher-risk buildings.

A further notification must be submitted no more than five working days after the work has satisfied the new definition of the commencement of work.

Should the building control authority not be satisfied the work is regarded as commenced, it can issue a rejection notice within four weeks of the date the commencement notice is given. The rejection notice must include the reason for rejection.

Building Control

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 557781