Check if you need planning permission

You need planning permission for most building work, or if you want to change the use of a building or a piece of land.

However, you can carry out some work under permitted development. This means that you do not have to apply for planning permission. The Planning Portal explains the types of work that you can do under permitted development.

The Planning Portal explains what work needs planning permission and what is allowed under permitted development and has a handy interactive tool which gives advice on common projects.

Permitted development rights

Even if the work does fall under permitted development, you may still need planning permission. This is because your property may not have permitted development rights.

You can find out what permitted development rights your property has by:

  • Seeking advice from a planning agent or architect
  • Checking with us by completing an online request form. We aim to respond to your enquiry within 21 days.

The advice you will receive from us will confirm whether your property benefits from permitted development rights or not. 

We will also provide you with some useful information on what you need to do next to find out whether you need Planning Permission or not.

Get further advice

You can find general advice on if you need to apply for planning permission from:

Get confirmation

We recommend that you apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. This acts as formal confirmation that your work does not need planning permission. You can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for:

You can find out more about Lawful Development Certificates on the central government website.

Other things you need to consider

As well as planning permission, there are other things you need to consider:

Conservation areas and listed buildings

If you live in a conservation area or your property is a listed building, you may need specific consent, as well as planning permission.

Article 4 Directions

If your property falls within an Article 4 Direction area, you may not have permitted development rights so would need to apply for permission.

You can find out what permitted development rights your property has by completing our online request form. We will respond to your enquiry within 21 days.

Silver End

Silver End Conservation Area is subject to an Article 4 direction which removes some of the permitted development rights for this area. This means you need permission for certain work in that area.

Work on a protected tree

Before you carry out work on a tree, you need to check if you need permission.

Dropped kerbs

You need permission from Essex County Council if you want a dropped kerb. You may also need permission from us.

Building control

Even if you don't need planning permission, you may still need building control approval. Building regulations make sure that buildings are safe, accessible and energy efficient.

If you need planning permission go to our apply for planning permission webpage.


Development Management

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 557779