Demolition of buildings

You need to tell us if you intend to demolish a building or part of a building, at least six weeks before the demolition.

You don’t need to tell us if you are going to demolish:

  • a small building that is less than 50 cubic metres
  • certain agricultural buildings

After you have told us you intend to demolish a building, we will send you a counter notice. You can’t demolish the building until you have received the counter notice.

You can email or write to our Building Control team to tell us about your planned demolition. To tell us that you intend to demolish a building, you will need:

  • the name and contact details of the person who will demolish the building
  • the name and contact details of the person who wants the demolition, if it is not the person demolishing the building
  • the location of the building you are demolishing
  • the dates when the demolition will take place  

You will also need to submit a site plan showing:   

  • the site boundaries       
  • which buildings you are demolishing 
  • the buildings next to the building you are demolishing 
  • the location of drains and sewers that you will seal, disconnect or remove

You can find information about planning permission and demolition on the Planning Portal.

Other legal obligations

Any demolition work is subject to Health and Safety legislation covering:

  • the safety of people on site
  • the safety of the general public
  • environmental nuisance
  • noise pollution

You should seek the advice of a professional building consultant if you are not sure how to meet these obligations.

When you are demolishing a building, you also have a duty to inform:

  • local gas and electricity suppliers
  • owners of adjacent buildings

Building Control

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 557781