About planning enforcement

You can report a breach of planning permission to us and we will investigate.

We investigate:

  • building or engineering works that do not have planning permission
  • change of use of land or buildings that does not have planning permission
  • failure to comply with planning conditions attached to a planning permission
  • unauthorised works to listed buildings
  • unauthorised works to protected trees
  • land or buildings which are harming the appearance of the local area
  • unlawful display of advertisements

We do not investigate:

  • land ownership
    You can look at the Land Registry for more information
  • anonymous complaints
  • party walls and boundary fence disputes
    You can look on the Planning Portal for more information
  • complaints relating to roads, traffic or footpaths
    You can look at Essex County Council's Highways Authority for more information

A complaint about noise, light, odour, bonfires or pests are not planning enforcement issues, but you can report them to us

You can find more information about breaches of planning permission on the Planning Portal.


Planning Enforcement

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525