Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Demolition of buildings

Demolition of buildings

If you are intending to demolish a building you will need to give prior notice to the Council. The following explains what you will need to do and answers some of the questions you may have.

Do I need to give notice for any type of building that I intend to demolish?

You are required to give notice for all buildings or parts of a building which you intend to demolish except:

  • small buildings with a cubic content of less than 50 cubic metres
  • certain agricultural buildings

In some cases you may also need to apply for planning permission when demolishing certain types of building. Please contact planning services for further information.

What information do I need to give?

  • The name, business address and contact telephone number(s) of the person carrying out the demolition
  • The name and address of the person on whose behalf the demolition is being carried out
  • The precise address of the site
  • A plan of the site clearly showing which building or buildings are to be demolished (by highlighting or cross hatching), and the location of any drains which are to be sealed
  • The date when demolition works will start

When can I start demolition works?

You should wait until you have received a counter notice from the Council. This will state the requirements that you will need to comply with when undertaking the demolition.

Are there any other legal obligations I need to consider?

The demolition works will be subject to other Health and Safety legislation covering safety of workers on site, environmental nuisance and noise pollution. These matters are enforced by other agencies. You should seek the advice of a professional building consultant if you are unsure whether you are complying with these additional matters.

You also have a duty to inform the local gas and electricity service providers and the owners of any buildings adjacent to your site.

How do I notify the Council that I intend to demolish a building?

You can either write to Building Control, Causeway House, Bocking End, Braintree, CM7 9HB or email Building Control.