Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Apply online at GOV.UK
Local land charges service

Local land charges service

Local Land Charges

VAT changes to search fees

Please be aware that vat charges will be applied to search fees from the 1st of January 2017, for more information please see the Local Land Charges Fees page

What information will be shown on a search?

Searches conducted by Braintree District Council will provide you with information we and other public bodies hold about your property such as:

  • Planning matters- permissions, refusals, enforcement notices, tree preservation orders
  • Status of the road(s) leading to your property .

The information we provide comprises answers to a set of questions complied by the Law Society. These comprise of compulsory questions (CON29) and optional questions (CON29O).

How do I request a search?

You can obtain the search forms from the Law Society.

You can send your completed application form(s) and 1 plan outlined in red to:

We are not on the DX postal service, however you can post to our address as shown on the right.

Response times

Once received, full searches are usually provided within 5 to 10 working days.
Full search results will be delivered via email, so you will need to provide your email address.

How do I pay?

Fees are payable via cheque, made payable to Braintree District Council, or alternatively card payments are accepted if the search is submitted electronically to

What happens if I would like to cancel my search?

Searches can only be cancelled, and your fee returned, if the Local Land Charges office is notified within 24 hours of receipt of search.

Updated August 2016