Domestic Noise

How do I make a complaint about a noise nuisance? 

Report a noise nuisance

What can you take action against?

  • playing of amplified music
  • playing of musical instruments
  • loud TV
  • parties and BBQs
  • D.I.Y. works
  • barking dogs
  • cockerels
  • intruder alarms
  • Unacceptable noise i.e. banging on walls, loud shouting etc.

What are you unable to take action against?

  • occasional dog barking
  • footsteps
  • babies crying
  • children playing
  • moving furniture
  • normal use of domestic appliances
How we investigate

To investigate whether the noise is a statutory nuisance or likely to have a detrimental effect on the quality of life of others in the locality, we would ask you to fill in diary sheets for a period of time to work out when the nuisance occurs and if the diary sheets have enough information, we can later install recording equipment to obtain evidence. Please be advised that we keep your details in the strictest confidence and will not divulge your details to the complaint. We do require details to be able to pursue any complaints. We not investigate anonymous complaints.

Aircraft and road traffic noise

We are also unable to take action against road traffic noise and aircraft noise. Should you have issue with aircraft noise, you can visit the Civil Aviation Authorities website for information or you can contact by telephone on 020 7379 7311, or email [email protected].

If your query with regards to road traffic is related to a car abnormality i.e. noisy exhaust, you will need to contact Essex Police. If it is with regard to general Highway noise, you will need to contact Essex County Council Highways Department.