Funeral arrangements

Using a funeral director

When the registrar issues the death certificate, they will also issue you with a certificate to authorise the funeral, either by way of burial or cremation.

You need to give this certificate to the funeral director you have asked to arrange the funeral. You can use the Funeral Guide website to look for local funeral directors.

All funeral directors follow a code of practice and they will give you an estimate of costs before you decide to use them. The estimate will include their own costs and any fees they will pay on your behalf.

It is advisable to obtain quotes from a number of funeral directors so that you can compare costs.

Your funeral director can make all the arrangements for the funeral, burial or cremation, religious or secular service. The funeral director can also tell you about the procedures and documents needed to register the death.

If the funeral will be taking place at a cemetery managed by Braintree District Council, an interment form shall be completed by the funeral director and signed by either the ERB holder or the applicant. Please contact the Cemeteries Service to request an interment form.

If you would like a headstone or memorial on a loved one’s grave, a settling period of between 6-12 months is required for all full burial graves. After the advised settling period, a memorial can be erected on the grave. The headstone or memorial can be ordered during the settling period but fixed after. Please note this is for full burials only, cremated remains plots do not require a settling period.

Non-Religious Services

You do not need to have a religious ceremony or any kind of ceremony at a funeral. People that regard religion to be unimportant or have made a decision to live their lives without it may prefer a Humanist ceremony.

A humanist ceremony is not meant to oppose a religious funeral. These ceremonies provide a dignified and respectful celebration of your loved one’s life.

A humanist ceremony is usually carried out by a celebrant. A celebrant is a qualified person who can officiate at funerals, weddings, namings or any other rite of passage.

They will conduct the funeral, which can involve;

  • readings of poems or passages
  • tributes by attendees or the official
  • the playing of music

You can use the Humanist UK website to find out about humanist ceremonies and look for a local celebrant.

If you decide not to include a ceremony in the funeral, members of the family or close friends can attend the committal, which can be in silence or with some music being played.

Non-Church of England Funerals

If you are arranging a funeral for someone who is of a faith different from your own, it is important to contact the equivalent of the local priest of the denomination to find out what you need to do.

You can find useful help and advice on funerals on the Funerals Guide website.


Cemetery Services

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 557772

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today