Animal activity licences

Types of licences

You need an Animal Activity licence if you run a business selling, hiring, breeding or looking after animals. 

An Animal Activity licence covers: 

  • boarding cats
  • breeding dogs
  • boarding dogs in kennels
  • home boarding dogs
  • dog day care
  • selling animals as pets
  • exhibitions of animals
  • hiring out horses 


You can find detailed guidance on each of these activities on GOV.UK. The guidance contains information on:

  • what you need to do to meet the licence conditions
  • the steps you must take to meet the highest animal welfare standards

There are nationally set conditions that apply to each activity. You will need to meet these conditions to get an Animal Activity licence: 



Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today