Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Council Discount and Exemptions

Council Discount and Exemptions

Students and student nurses

Download and apply

Council tax disregard form for students and nurses

What is classified as a Student?

  • A foreign language assistant registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits, Exchanges.
  • Undertaking a full time course of education and is enrolled at a prescribed educational establishment on a course of at least one year (normally for 24 weeks during the year where study, tuition or work experience is an average of 21 hours each week)
  • Undertaking a qualifying course of education and is aged under 20 years

What is not classified as a student? 

  • Undertaking the course as a result of employment
  • An apprentice or youth training trainee
  • Primarily taught through correspondence

The course must:

  • be more than 3 calendar months duration
  • average more than 21 hours per week
  • be carried out between the hours of 8am and 5.30pm

A Student Certificate (available from the place of study) will be required as proof.

A student nurse is a person who is:

Attending a college of nursing and midwifery, or a college of heath, and the course, if successfully completed, would lead to first registration on the Register maintained under section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979.