Liability order

A Liability Order, give us more powers to collect the Council Tax. It allows us to obtain details about your employment or benefit claims.

If the court grant us a Liability Order you will incur further costs of £30.00.

There are several ways we can use the Liability Order to collect Council Tax.

Attachment of Earnings

We can demand to have money deducted from your salary in accordance with the Government guidelines.

Deduction from Benefits

We can request that payments are made direct from some benefits.

Enforcement Agents

We can send the Liability Order to certificated Enforcement Agents. The Enforcement Agents will contact you to arrange repayment.

If we pass a Liability order to an Enforcement Agent you will incur extra statutory costs:

  • £75 when we send the Liability Order The Enforcement Agents will contact customers to arrange repayment
  • £235 (plus 7.5% of the original debt over £1500) if the Enforcement Agent needs to visit you if:
    • you don't make or keep to an agreement  to pay
    • or for the purpose of taking control of your goods

Once we have passed your account to the Enforcement Agents, the agents will not normally return them. It is important you contact us if you receive sent any recovery letters.

Charging Order

If you own your own property, we can apply to the County Court to have a charge placed against your home.  The Charging Order works in the same way as a mortgage, you will have to pay it when you sell the property.

We can apply to the court to order you to sell your property to satisfy the charge.


We can apply to the County Court to have you made Bankrupt. This is a very serious step that will affect your ability to get credit. It could lead to you losing your home and you would be liable for any solicitors costs and insolvency fees.

We will only consider bankruptcy action when we have gathered and considered information about an individual.

Committal Hearing

We can apply to the Magistrates Court to have a person sent to prison where there is

  • culpable neglect
  • or wilful refusal to pay

We will only consider this action would once we have not collected the Council tax through all other methods of recovery.

You can contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for impartial advice, about your Council Tax or our recovery process.


Council Tax

Address: Causeway House,
Bocking End,

Telephone: 01376 557755

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today