We base a full Council Tax bill on at least two adults living in a home.
If you live with someone who does not count as an adult, you can get a discount on your bill. You can find more information about who counts as an adult for Council Tax on GOV.UK.
We disregard anyone who is:
- an apprentice
- a youth training trainee
To apply for a Council Tax disregard discount for an apprentice or youth training trainee, you will need:
- your Council Tax account number
- your name, address and contact details
- the name and date of birth of the apprentice or youth training trainee
- their employment details including how much they earn
You will also need to upload proof of their earnings such as a payslip.
An apprentice is a person who is:
- learning a trade, profession, vocation and so on
- undertaking a training programme that is accredited by the National Council for Vocational qualifications or the Scottish equivalent
- is receiving an allowance or salary less than they would be earn if they were qualified, and in any case less than £195 gross (before deductions)
Youth training trainees
A youth trainee is a person who is:
- under the age of 25 years
- undertaking training under arrangements that constitute an approved training scheme as defined in section 28 (6) I or the Social Security contributions and Benefits Act 1992
After we receive your application
Once we have received your application, we will decide:
- if your should receive a discount and send you a new bill
- or tell you why you won’t receive a discount and write to you to explain why
When you submit your application for discount you declare that the information you have given is true to the best of your knowledge.
We will take action where we believe that you have knowingly supplied false information to obtain a financial benefit to which a person is not entitled.
Change in circumstance
You should contact us immediately if your circumstances change in a way that may alter your entitlement to this discount.
Appeal against our decision
If you disagree with our decision about your application for discount, you can read our page on how to appeal your Council Tax bill.