You can you can apply for a 50% discount on your Council Tax for an annexe if it:
- forms part of a single property which includes at least one other dwelling
- is being used by a resident of that other dwelling as part of their sole or main residence
- is the sole or main residence of a relative of the person who is liable to pay Council Tax on the other dwelling
To apply for a Council Tax annexe discount, you will need:
- your Council Tax account number
- your name, address and contact details
- the address of the annexe
For Council Tax purposes, a relative is:
- spouse or civil partner
- great grandparent
- great grandchild
- great uncle
- great aunt
- great nephew
- great niece
We will treat two people living together as if they were married or in a civil partnership as though they were married.
We will treat step children treated as a persons’ child.
After we receive your application
Once we have received your application, we will decide:
- if your should receive a discount and send you a new bill
- or tell you why you won’t receive a discount and write to you to explain why
When you submit your application for discount you declare that the inforation you have given is true to the best of your knowledge.
We will take action wher we believe that you have knowingly supplied false information to obtain a financial benefit to which a person is not entitled.
Change in circumstance
You should contact us immediately if your circumstances change in a way that may alter your entitlement to this discount.
Appeal against our decision
If you disagree with our decision about your application for discount, you can read our page on how to appeal your Council Tax bill.