Disabled relief

We base a full Council Tax bill on at least two adults living in a home.

If you live with someone who does not count as an adult, you can get a discount on your bill. You can find more information about who counts as an adult for Council Tax on GOV.UK.

We disregard anyone who has:

  • a severe mental impairment
  • a physical impairment

Severe mental impairment

You can apply for a disregard for someone who has severe mental impairment if they:

  • have a permanent severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • have a medical certificate from a registered medical practitioner
  • are claiming benefits

You can only apply for the disregard if the person with the severe mental impairment is claiming one of;

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • the highest or middle rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • an increase in the rate of disablement pension for constant attendance
  • a disability element of working tax credit
  • an unemployability supplement Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the industrial injuries or war pensions schemes
  • an unemployability allowance under the industrial injuries or war pensions schemes
  • Income Support includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work

Apply for a Council Tax disregard

To apply for a Council Tax Disabled relief disregard you will need:

  • your Council Tax account number
  • your name, address, and contact details
  • the name and date of birth of the apprentice or youth training trainee
  • details of the person with the severe mental impairment
  • details of the benefits they are claiming
  • a medical certificate from a registered medical practitioner

Physically impaired

You can ask us for a reduction for a person with a physical impairment where there is one of;

  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory is used predominantly by the disabled person (e.g. an extension or existing room used for storing dialysis equipment or a wheelchair, or a bedroom on the ground floor of a dwelling with 2 or more storeys)
  • a second bathroom or kitchen
  • extra space in the home to allow a wheelchair to be used indoors (the disabled person must use the wheelchair indoors).

To apply for this disregard, you should contact us and arrange for a member of staff to visit your property.

After we receive your application

Once we have received your application, we will decide:

if you should receive a discount and send you a new bill

or tell you why you won’t receive a discount and write to you to explain why

False information

When you submit your application for a discount you declare that the information you have given is true to the best of your knowledge.

We will take action where we believe that you have knowingly supplied false information to obtain a financial benefit to which a person is not entitled.

Change in circumstance

You should contact us immediately if your circumstances change in a way that may alter your entitlement to this discount.

Appeal against our decision

If you disagree with our decision about your application for discount, you can read our page on how to appeal your Council Tax bill.


Council Tax

Address: Causeway House,
Bocking End,

Telephone: 01376 557755

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today