Students and student nurses

We base a full Council Tax bill on at least two adults living in a home.

If you live with someone who does not count as an adult, you can get a discount on your bill. You can find more information about who counts as an adult for Council Tax on GOV.UK.

Download Council Tax disregard form

We disregard anyone who is a:

  • student
  • student nurse

To apply for a Council Tax disregard discount for a student or student nurse, you will need:

  • your Council Tax account number
  • your name, address and contact details
  • the name and date of birth of the student or student nurse
  • the term time address of the student or student nurse
  • the name and address of the college or university
  • the start and end dates fo the course

You will also need to upload a copy of a Council tax Student Certificate. You can get the certificate from Student Services at the college or university.


There are three main categories of students for Council Tax purposes:

  1. anyone undertaking a full-time course at a college or university in the UK
  2. you are under 20 years old in part time or full time education
  3. you are a foreign language assistant; registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and working at a school or other educational establishment

A full-time course is one that:

  • lasts for at least three months
  • requires you to normally go to for at least 24 weeks in each academic calendar year
  • consists of an average of at least 21 hours a week of study, tuition, work experience or a combination of these

You are not a student if you are:

  • undertaking the course as a result of employment
  • an apprentice or youth training trainee
  • primarily taught through correspondence

Student nurses

A student nurse is a person who attending a course that will lead to first registration on the Register maintained under section 10 of the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act 1979. You must be studying at a:

  • a college of nursing and midwifery
  • a college of heath

After we receive your application

Once we have received your application, we will decide:

  • if you should receive a discount and send you a new bill
  • or tell you why you won’t receive a discount and write to you to explain why

False information

When you submit your application for discount you declare that the information you have given is true to the best of your knowledge.

We will take action where we believe that you have knowingly supplied false information to obtain a financial benefit to which a person is not entitled.

Change in circumstance

You should contact us immediately if your circumstances change in a way that may alter your entitlement to this discount.

Appeal against our decision

If you disagree with our decision about your application for discount, you can read our page on how to appeal your Council Tax bill.


Council Tax

Address: Causeway House,
Bocking End,

Telephone: 01376 557755

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today