Members of religious communities

We base a full Council Tax bill on at least two adults living in a home.

If you live with someone who does not count as an adult, you can get a discount on your bill. You can find more information about who counts as an adult for Council Tax on GOV.UK.

Download Council Tax disregard form

If you are a member of a religious community, for example, if you are a monk or nun, you may qualify for a Council Tax discount.

To qualify for a discount you:

  • must be a member of a religious community such as a monk or a nun
  • the main occupation of the religious community must be one of:
    • prayer
    • contemplation
    • education
    • the relief of suffering
  • must have no income, apart from any occupational pension from a former employment
  • must have no capital of your own
  • must be dependent upon the community for your material needs

You cannot apply for a disregard as a member of a religious community if you belong to a religious denomination and attend church on a regular basis.

To apply for a Council Tax disregard as a member of a religious community, you will need:

  • your Council Tax account number
  • your name, address and contact details
  • the name of the religious community
  • the main occupation of the religious community

After we receive your application

Once we have received your application, we will decide:

  • if you should receive a discount and send you a new bill
  • or tell you why you won’t receive a discount and write to you to explain why

False information

When you submit your application for discount you declare that the information you have given is true to the best of your knowledge.

We will take action where we believe that you have knowingly supplied false information to obtain a financial benefit to which a person is not entitled.

Change in circumstance

You should contact us immediately if your circumstances change in a way that may alter your entitlement to this discount.

Appeal against our decision

If you disagree with our decision about your application for discount, you can read our page on how to appeal your Council Tax bill.


Council Tax

Address: Causeway House,
Bocking End,

Telephone: 01376 557755

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today