We base a full Council Tax bill on at least two adults living in a home.
If you live with someone who does not count as an adult, you can get a discount on your bill. You can find more information about who counts as an adult for Council Tax on GOV.UK.
To apply for a Council Tax disregard discount for a carer, you will need:
- your Council Tax account number
- your name, address and contact details
- the name and address of the person receiving care
You cannot apply for a Council Tax disregard for a carer if you are:
- the partner of the person being cared for
- the parent of the person being cared for if that person is a child under 18 years old
The Council Tax legislation recognises a carer as person is considered to be a carer if they are:
- Providing care to a person who is claiming at least one of:
- Attendance Allowance
- the highest rate of the care component of a Disability Living Allowance
- an increase in a Constant Attendant Allowance
- an increase in their Disablement Pension
- the highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full rate
- Disablement Benefit due to an industrial injury
- Resident in the same property as the person they are providing care for
- Providing care for at least 35 hours per week on average
After we receive your application
Once we have received your application, we will decide:
- if your should receive a discount and send you a new bill
- or tell you why you won’t receive a discount and write to you to explain why
When you submit your application for discount you declare that the information you have given is true to the best of your knowledge.
We will take action where we believe that you have knowingly supplied false information to obtain a financial benefit to which a person is not entitled.
Change in circumstance
You should contact us immediately if your circumstances change in a way that may alter your entitlement to this discount.
Appeal against our decision
If you disagree with our decision about your application for discount, you can read our page on how to appeal your Council Tax bill.