Apply for single occupancy discount

If you are the only adult living in your property, you can apply for single person discount of 25%.

You can find more information about who counts as an adult for Council Tax on GOV.UK.

To apply for single person discount, you will need:

  1. your Council Tax account number
  2. your name, address and contact details
  3. the date you became the only adult living in the property

Using an apple device

If you use an apple device, you may not be able to connect to the website. If this happens, you can fix this by clearing your cache.

How to clear your cache changes with each browser. We have included guides for the common browsers:

If this does not fix your issue, you can contact us and we will help you.

Apply for single person discount

You can use this form to manage your single person discount:

  • tell us if you live alone
  • tell us if all other members of your household have moved out. We will need their forwarding addresses before we can apply your single person discount
  • tell us if someone has moved in with you and you are no longer claiming single person discount

We will only grant a single person discount if the property is your sole or main residence.

We can not apply a single person discount on an empty property.

When someone is on holiday, travelling, or working away from home, we will not apply the single person discount as it is not a permanent change.

Updating your single person discount

Your single person discount continues for as long as you occupy the property as the single adult. We will remove your single person discount if:

  • another adult comes to stay with you and this is their main home
  • a child reaches the age of 18
  • you leave the property on a permanent basis

You must tell us about these changes as soon as they happen.

Other discounts

There are other discounts available for;

  • Students and student nurses 
  • Apprentices and trainees

After we receive your application

Once we have received your application, we will decide:

  • if you should receive a discount and send you a new bill
  • or tell you why you won’t receive a discount and write to you to explain why

False information

When you submit your application for discount you declare that the information you have given is true to the best of your knowledge.

We will take action where we believe that you have knowingly supplied false information to obtain a financial benefit to which a person is not entitled.

Change in circumstance

You should contact us immediately if your circumstances change in a way that may alter your entitlement to this discount.

Appeal against our decision

If you disagree with our decision about your application for discount, you can read our page on how to appeal your Council Tax bill.


Council Tax

Address: Causeway House,
Bocking End,

Telephone: 01376 557755

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today