Pay your Council Tax
How to pay you Council Tax
All payments are due on or before the first day of each month whether you decide to pay by cash or cheque or Direct Debit. You can pay by monthly instalments (1st April to 1st January), half yearly (1st May and 1st September) or in a lump sum (1st May).
Pay by telephone (24 hr card line)
- Pay by credit or debit card by telephoning the automated 24-hour card line - 01376 557894.
- You will need to have your account reference number (from your bill).
- For credit card payments a charge of 1.9% is levied for balances over £10.
- We are unable to accept American Express charge cards.
Pay by direct debit
- Set up a direct debit by calling 01376 557755 during office hours (9am-5pm, Monday-Friday).
- Please ensure you have your account reference number (from your bill) to hand.
- You will also need your bank account and sort code numbers ready.
- All direct debits set up over the phone will be confirmed in writing.
Download a paper direct debit instruction
- Please complete the Paper Direct Debit Instruction from and return to us.
Due to the rules of the Paperless Direct Debit scheme, in order to set up a direct debit you must be the Council Tax payer (or a joint Council Tax payer) and you must be the bank account holder or joint bank account holder. We regret we cannot set up a direct debit if you are not the account holder.
If you already pay by direct debit you do not have to set up a new instruction each year. Your instruction will continue unless you have cancelled the instruction at your bank. Please note however if you have a change in circumstances which results in you being allocated a new account reference number you will have to re-submit your bank details to us.
The Direct Debit Guarantee
- This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit, Braintree District Council will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request Braintree District Council to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit by Braintree District Council or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society - If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when Braintree District Council asks you to
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.
If you wish to set up a standing order you will need to complete a form available from your bank or building society. You will need to quote your account reference number (from your bill).
Our bank details are:
- Account name: Braintree District Council
- Sort code: 30-00-02
- Account number: 00825110
- Bank name: Lloyds Bank
Please note payments made by Standing Order can take 3 days to reach us, therefore you must take this delay into account when setting up an instruction to your bank or building society. Late payment may result in recovery action being taken.
Send a cheque or postal order made payable to 'Braintree District Council' to:Braintree District Council,
PO Box 207,
Please write your account reference number (from your bill) on the reverse of the cheque. Receipts will only be issued of you send a stamped addressed envelope.