Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Council Tax Appeals

Council Tax Appeals

Appeal your Council tax bill (liability)

Why would I appeal my Council tax bill? 

If you think your Council Tax bill is wrong you can appeal to the Revenues Section.  Please ensure you keep paying your bill whilst any appeal is in progress.

You can appeal if you think the bill is being sent to the wrong person or your property should be exempt or if you think you are entitled to a discount or relief.

How to appeal

You should contact us in writing giving the reasons why you think your bill is wrong. You must provide as much information as possible to help us make a decision.

After due consideration we will decide if the bill is wrong and issue a new one or inform you the bill is correct and write to you to explain why.

What if I disagree?

If you disagree with our decision you can appeal to your local Valuation Tribunal. This is an independent organisation that deals with Council Tax appeals.

Valuation Tribunal Service
2nd Floor Black Lion House 
45 Whitechapel Road
E1 1DU
Telephone: 0300 123 2035
Facsimile: 020 7247 6598
Email: [email protected]
Or visit the Valuation Tribunal Service's website

If you want to appeal you must contact the Valuation Tribunal within 2 months of the Council giving you its decision or 4 months from the date you first wrote to the Council if you have not heard from them.

Appeal hearings and decisions

It may be possible for the Tribunal to make a decision based on the information you have provided.  Otherwise, the Tribunal will arrange an appeal hearing and send you details of the procedures for the hearing.