Committee meeting details
View meetings and minutes
- View the agendas, meetings and minutes for Full Council Committee up to the 27th October 2016
- View the agendas, meetings and minutes for Full Council Committee from the 27th of October 2016
What are the functions of the Council?
- Adopt and approve any changes to the Constitution or to the Members’ Allowance Scheme that may be proposed in accordance with the provisions of Article 17 of the Constitution;
- Approve the Policy Framework and the Budget;
- Take decisions in respect of any recommendation made by the Cabinet or Committees which would be contrary to the Policy Framework and/or the Budget;
- Take decisions in respect of functions which must by law be reserved to the Council, local choice functions that Council has decided to reserve to itself or other functions that are not the responsibility of Cabinet and/or have not been delegated to committees, sub- committees or officers;
- Appoint the Chairman of the Council, the Vice Chairman of the Council and the Leader of the Council;
- Make appointments to committees and nominate representatives to outside bodies unless the appointment is a Cabinet function or has been delegated by Council to a committee or officer;
- Appoint the Head of Paid Service, Electoral Registration Officer, Local Government Returning Officer, Monitoring Officer and the S.151 Officer;
- Consider reports of the Monitoring Officer and the S.151 Officer issued in pursuance of their respective statutory duties;
- Make, amend, revoke, re-enact or adopt byelaws and promote or oppose the making of local legislation or personal Bills;
Take decisions in relation to the following
- Responding to appropriate bodies with regard to boundary reviews or other electoral issues including for example the designation of the acting or local returning officer for the purposes of a county, European, parliamentary or other form of election or referenda;
- Changing the name of the area, electoral areas and parishes;
- Functions relating to parishes and parish councils, including the size of parish councils, dissolving, grouping and separating parishes;
- Functions relating to changing governance arrangements for Parish, Ward or County District boundaries and community governance; and
- Functions relating to establishing, creating and removing polling districts, altering the years of ordinary elections of councillors and parish councillors.
Provide a forum for Councillors to do the following
- Debate issues of importance to the District;
- To hear addresses and receive petitions on matters of importance to the District in accordance with the relevant procedure rules contained within this Constitution; and
- To hold the Leader of the Council, Cabinet Members and Committee Chairman to account.