Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Street Licensing and Sunday Trading

Street Licensing and Sunday Trading

Street Trading Consent

Download and apply

Download an application for street trading consent


You do not need a street trading consent if you are:

  • A pedlar with a pedlar's certificate issued by a police authority
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
  • If you are trading on private land you may not need a consent. To confirm the situation you are advised to contact us, using the details above. The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the Council's Planning office
  • At a petrol station
  • As a roundsman with regular customers
  • As part of a charity collection if a valid permit is in force

Eligibility criteria

Applicants must be over 17 years old and must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade. We will be able to inform you whether or not the location you have chosen may or may not be suitable.

How to apply ?

Step 1 - Choose a location that you think is suitable for the type of trading you wish to carry out, complete the application form and return it with:

  • A location plan of the area where you wish to trade
  • A photograph of the vehicle you wish to trade from
  • the fee
  • landlords consent (if relevant)>
  • proof that your business is registered with the local Council (if selling food)

Apply to register a food business online

Step 2 - If the application is valid then this will start the 28 day consultation process with the Police, Essex County Highways, Environmental Health, Planning and the relevant district ward member(s)

Businesses of a similar nature that may be affected by your application may also be consulted before any street trading consent may be granted.

Step 3 - If the Council receives no objections to the application then consent will be granted.  If the Council receives objection(s) the application will be heard by the Council’s Licensing Committee and a decision will be made as to whether consent will be granted.

If your application is refused for any reason then you will receive a full refund.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 35 working days, please contact the licensing team.

Licences will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:

  • adverse comments are received from the consulted parties
  • there isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
  • you have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence

Under certain circumstances if certain grounds for refusal exist the Council may still award a licence but for fewer days than required, or to allow trade in certain items only.

The council will either grant the application or serve a notice on you within a reasonable time.

The notice will be served if the council intends to refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a licence or revoke a licence.

The notice will detail the grounds for the decision and state that within seven days of the notice you can request in writing the opportunity to make representations.

The Council may revoke a street trading consent after it has been granted. This may be for a variety of reasons such as: non compliance with conditions, non payment or because other agencies such as highways department require access to the trading location. You will be given at least 10 days notice if your consent is revoked.

Failed application redress

If an applicant wishes to appeal then the decision will be reviewed by the Head of Environment. Contact the Licensing team in the first instance.