Apply for a Driver's licence
You must get a Driver's licence from us if you want to drive either a Hackney carriage (taxi) or a Private hire vehicle in our district. You can apply for:
- a Hackney carriage Driver's licence, if you are only going to drive a taxi
- a Private hire Driver's licence, if you are only going to drive a minicab
- a Dual (Hackney carriage and Private hire) Driver's licence if you are going to drive both types of vehicle
Applying for a licence
You can only make your application for a Driver's licence in person with a member of our Licensing team. We carry out applications in person as we need to verify original documents.
You can contact our Licencing team by phone or email to make your appointment.
To apply for a Driver's licence you must:
- be 18 or over
- have a DVLA driving licence
- have taken and passed our Knowledge test
- have had a Group 2 medical with your doctor
When you come for your appointment, you need to bring:
- your completed application form
- your completed Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service application. You can get the form from our Licensing team
- a digital photograph. Our Licensing officer will take this during your appointment
- your DVLA driver's Licence, either photo card or old-style paper licence
- proof of your Right to Work status
- at least one other form of photo ID
- the correct fee
Having criminal convictions does not automatically stop you from getting a Driver's licence.
Making an application
You should read our Criminal Convictions Policy before making an application.
The policy provides guidance on how we determine whether an applicant or an existing licence holder is a fit and proper person to hold a licence.
Depending on your convictions our Licensing Committee will need to approve your application.
You can contact our Licensing team who will be able to help you with your application.
Renewing your license
We issue Driver's licenses for three years.
If you are over 65, we will issue your Driver's licence for one year. You will have to have a Group 2 medical every year to renew your licence
We can issue Driver's licences for less than three years. You can discuss this with our Licensing team.