Apply for a Personal licence
As well as a Premises licence, you also need a Personal licence to sell alcohol.
The Designated Premises Supervisor named on a Premises licence, must be the holder of a Personal licence.
A Personal licence holder must authorise anyone who does not hold a Personal licence to sell alcohol.
You do not need a Personal licence to sell alcohol in a members' club.
What you need to apply for a Personal licence
To apply for a Personal licence you must be
- 18 years of age or over
- hold a licensing qualification such as a BII Level II examination certificate or the EDI NCPLH level 2 qualification
You must get an accredited qualification before you apply for your licence.
The aim of the qualification is to make sure licence holders are:
- aware of licensing law and
- the wider social responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol.
The Home Secretary gives accreditation to providers of Personal licence qualifications. You can find a list of accredited personal licence qualification providers on GOV.UK.
How to apply for a Personal licence
Before you apply for a Personal licence you need to complete a Personal licence disclosure of convictions and declaration form from the Disclosure and Barring service.
To make your application to need to send our Licensing team:
- the completed application for a personal licence to sell alcohol
- the completed Personal licence disclosure of convictions and declaration
- your original personal licence qualification certificate
- photocopy or scanned copy of your Right to Work in the UK
- the original Disclosure and Barring service document, which must not be more than one month old
- two passport-style photographs. One photograph must be endorsed as a true likeness of you and signed on the back by a solicitor, or a person of standing in the community or with a professional qualification
- your fee of £37.00 Cheques should be made payable to Braintree District Council. If you want to pay by debit or credit card you can email our Licensing team with a daytime telephone number so we can contact you to take payment
You can contact our Licensing team if you have any questions about applying for a Personal licence.