About Pavement permits and licences
You need a Pavement permit or a Pavement licence if you want to wish to place furniture such as tables and chairs on the highway outside your licensed premises, café or restaurant.
You can either apply for a Pavement permit or a Pavement licence.
Pavement permits fall under the Highways Act 1980. The key features of a Pavement permit are:
- there is a fee of £327.00
- the licence lasts for one year
- there is a 28 day consultation period
- you need Highways consent
- you need planning permission
Pavement permits fall under the Business and Plannig Act 2020. The key features of a Pavement licence are:
the Government introduced them as a fast track as part of the response to Covid-19
- there is a fee of £100.00
- All licences will expire on 30th September 2021, unless the government amends the legislation beforehand
- there is a 14 day consultation period
- you do not need planning permission