Charity collections

House to house collections

You need a House to house collection permit to collect charitable donations from door to door in the form of money or goods.

You can collect from any of the streets in the Braintree district. We do not restrict the number of charities collecting at any one time.

The Home Office has issued Exemption certificates to some larger charities. This means that they do not have to apply to us for a House to house permit.

You do not have to pay a fee for a House to house permit.

You can apply for your House to house permit online at GOV.UK.

Apply for a House to house permit

House to house collection return

After you have completed your collection, you need to complete a return about how much you collected.

You can submit your return online at GOV.UK.

Submit a House to house return 

When you complete your return you need to provide copies of the following:

  • Statement
  • Stamped bank pay-in slip (optional)
  • Letter from the charity stating amount donated (optional)


Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today