Charity collections

Street collections

While we encourages and support people collecting for charity, there is a need to protect the community from bogus collectors taking advantage of people's generosity.

That is why it is important that before you start collecting money for a charity you check with the our Licensing team to see if you need a permit.

The Home Office has issued Exemption certificates to some larger charities. This means that they do not have to apply to us for a Street collection permit.

You do not have to pay a fee for a Street collection permit.

You can apply for your Street collection permit online at GOV.UK.

Apply for a Street collection permit

Arranging your street collection

You must make your application for a Street collection permit no earlier than six months and no later than one month before the date you are proposing for your collection.

We operate a diary system so that there is only  one collection taking place in each of the three main towns, Braintree, Halstead and Witham per day. Certain days throughout the year are always more popular. To avoid disappointment, you should contact our Licensing team to find out if a particular day is available.

As well as getting a Street collection permit from us, you will also need to get permission from the landowner to hold your collection.

Street collection return

After you have completed your collection, you need to complete a return about how much you collected.

You can submit your return online at GOV.UK.

Submit a Street collection return 

When you complete your return you need to provide copies of the following:

  • Statement
  • Stamped bank pay-in slip (optional)
  • Letter from the charity stating amount donated (optional)


Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525