Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Collection licensing

Collection licensing

Street collection

Apply online

Application for a street collection Supply a return for a street collection

Download and apply

Download an application for a street collection


Whilst the Council encourages and aims to support people who wish to collect for charity there is a need to protect the community from bogus collectors taking advantage of people's generosity.

That is why it is important that before you start collecting money for a charity you check with the Council to see if you need a permit.

How much does a permit cost?

Nothing, they are free.

Can I collect anywhere?

No, the permit holder must obtain permission before collection from the landowner as well as the Council, even if that land is a public-access area unless the land is privately owned.

The Council operates a diary system whereby only one collection can take place in each of the three main towns, Braintree, Halstead and Witham per day.  Certain days throughout the year are always more popular, so to avoid disappointment it is suggested that before making an application, you contact the licensing team to find out if a particular day is available.

Applications for a permit shall be made to the Licensing Authority no earlier than six months and no later than one month in advance of the date on which it is proposed to make the collection.

Does everybody need a permit?

No. Some larger charities have been issued with a Home Office Exemption certificate, which means that they do not have to apply to the local authority for a permit.