Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Taxi Licensing

Taxi Licensing

Do I need a licence?

If you wish to work as the driver or proprietor of either a hackney carriage (taxi) or private hire vehicle (minicab), you will need to be properly licensed.

What are the types of licence?

  1. Hackney carriage and private hire driver's licence, dual (hackney carriage and Private Hire driver’s licence) which are necessary for anybody to drive a licensed vehicle.
  2. Vehicle licence, which enables a vehicle to operate for the purposes of hire and reward. It is necessary for every vehicle that is to be used as either a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.
  3. Operator's licence, which is necessary for anybody intending to accept bookings for a private hire vehicle, whether the vehicle is owned by that person or not. 

Any person wishing to undertake one of the above licensable activities must obtain the relevant licence(s) before doing so. All three licences must be issued by the same authority (i.e. a Braintree driver can only drive a vehicle licensed with Braintree District Council and operated by a person holding a Braintree District Council operators licence).

Please note: 

It is an offence for any person to undertake one or more of these activities without the relevant licence.