Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Apply online at GOV.UK
Private Landlords and Tenants

Private Landlords and Tenants

Tenancy Advice

If the owner of a property agrees to allow someone to stay there in exchange for rent, a legal relationship of landlord / tenant is immediately created. Different rules apply if the owner also lives there.

Almost all new private tenancies that started after 28 February 1997 are called 'Assured Shorthold Tenancies'. These were set up by the Housing Act 1988 and subsequently modified by the 1996 Housing Act.  The Housing Act 1996 sets out how Assured Shorthold Tenancies are started and how they can be ended.

Even if there is nothing in writing, once someone moves in, a tenancy exists and the same basic rules apply to ending the tenancy as if it was started with a written tenancy agreement.