Already homeless

If you are already homeless you should contact our Housing Options team using our online form.

Submit a Housing enquiry form

Our Housing Options team do not have to provide emergency accommodation to everyone who is homeless but we will:

  • assess your situation
  • give you a Personal Housing Plan

Your Personal Housing Plan sets out reasonable steps for you to take to help you find somewhere to live.

We will treat you as legally homeless if:

  • you have no legal right to live in accommodation anywhere in the world
  • you can’t get into your home. For example, your landlord has locked you out
  • it is not reasonable for you to stay in your home

If we have to provide accommodation in an emergency it is likely to be in a hostel. However, there is a limited supply of this, so it could be emergency accommodation outside this district.

If you are from abroad, your immigration status will affect the help we can give you. Shelter’s guide on housing rights can help you work out what type of support is available.

If you’re 16 or 17 and homeless, we will work with Essex County Council Health and Social Care and make a joint assessment.

If you are a single person aged 18 or over, the following organisations may be able to help:

Housing Services

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today