Disabled facilities grants

You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if:

  • you or a member of your family has a disability
  • you need to adapt your home to make it suitable for a person with disabilities

You can check GOV.UK for information about what you’ll get and who can apply for a DFG. 

To apply for a DFG, you need to contact the occupational therapy team from Essex County Council’s Adult Social Care.

A DFG is a means-tested grant. Your eligibility depends on your savings and any benefits you receive.

Those in receipt of certain means tested benefits are 'depending on the benefits you passported' to a full grant and will not have to make a contribution towards the cost of work. These 'passporting' benefits are:

If you are receiving some means tested benefits, you will automatically get a full grant not have to make a contribution towards the cost of work. You qualify for this if you are receiving:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (not contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance)
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (not contribution-based Job Seekers Allowance)
  • Guarantee Pension Credit (not Savings Pension Credit alone)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit (where your annual income for the purposes of the tax credits assessment was below £15,050)

If you have an annual income above £15,050 you will be means-tested to find out if need to a contribution to the cost of works.

DFGs for disabled children are not means tested.

To find out about the delegated decision regarding stair lifts read the amendment of the Disabled Facility Grant.

You can contact us to find out if you qualify for a DFG or have to make a contribution towards the cost of the work.


Housing Services

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525