Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
Due to the impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) you should send us information and supporting documents online or by uploading them onto your application. If you are unable to do this you should send copies of the documents to The Housing Assessment Team at our office. You should not send original documents as we cannot guarantee they will be safely returned to you. We have closed our you can only visit by appointment.
To apply for social housing you will need to join the Gateway To Homechoice register.
Despite the ever growing number of applicants on the register, there is a limited number of properties available. Successful applicants will often have a long wait to secure accommodation.
You can find out how we allocate properties on the Gateway to Homechoice website.
Most people in the local area will look to secure private rented accommodation as there are a lot more choice and no waiting time. You can read about the private rented sector for more information.
You may also be able to find housing quicker through:
Joining the register
You can register on Gateway to Homechoice if:
- you are 16 years old or over
- you are not subject to immigration control
- you can pass the habitual residence test
- you and your household are resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland
- you or your household are not guilty of behaviour which would make you unsuitable to be a tenant
You can read our allocations policy to find more about our eligibility criteria.
We aim to process new applications for the housing register within 28 days.
You can look at the Gateway to Homechoice website for updates on how long applications are taking.
When you apply to register on Gateway to Homechoice, you will need:
- the national insurance number for all household members who are 16 and over
- the name and address of all household members including children
- the date of birth for all household members including children
- your contact phone number
- your email address
- the full address history for the last six years for all household members
- the employment and income details for all household members
- details of your connection to the district such as family links or employment