We have a dedicated Housing Options Team who give advice on preventing homelessness.
If you are at risk of becoming homeless within the next eight weeks, we will help you try to prevent it under the Homeless Reduction Act.
You can contact our Housing Options Team using our online form.
Contact the Housing Options team
To complete the form you will need:
- your name address and contact details
- your email address
- details of you current living arrangements including any tenancy or rental agreements
- details on why you are at risk of becoming homeless
You will have the opportunity to upload documents to support your request at the end of the form such as:
- tenancy agreement
- notice to leave accommodation
- form 6a
- relevant letters
Once we receive your form, our Housing Options team will phone you before the end of the next working day. They will:
- assess your situation
- discuss how we can support you to sort out your housing problem
- work with you to draw up a Personal Housing Plan
Your Personal Housing Plan sets out reasonable steps you can take to stop you from becoming homeless.
It also sets out what we will do and what other agencies can do to help you. You can find out more about Personal Housing Plans on the Shelter website.
Depending on your circumstances, you can also find information on:
- family and friends asking you to leave
- rent and mortgage arrears or how to meet your mortgage or rent payments
- budgeting and debt advice
- how to protect and retrieve rent deposits
- relationship breakdown and property rights
- harassment and threats of illegal eviction
- domestic abuse and fear of violence
- unsuitable property or getting repairs made to your home
- leaving supported accommodation, prison, hospital or other care
- welfare reform and benefits
- finding accommodation
How we can help
The first priority is to keep you in your home if it is safe and reasonable to do so.
This may involve:
- negotiating with the person or company asking you to leave
- checking your legal rights
- checking the validity of any legal notices
- helping you to make an affordable payment plan
- refer you for other help and assistance such as debt or budgeting advice
If this is not successful we will support you to find and secure alternative accommodation.