Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Housing Advice and Homelessness

Housing Advice and Homelessness

Private Rented Sector

Contact the Housing Options Team using our online form.

Housing Enquiry / Referral Form

Ways to find a private rented home

The majority of people in need of a new or alternative home will not be offered social housing. Unless you are able to fund a mortgage the private rented sector will be your best way of finding a new home. When looking for private rented accommodation, it is important to get regular information about vacancies and follow it up the same day or as soon as possible.

Things to consider

Local Housing Allowance (if you may be reliant on benefit to pay your rent)

You may be asked to:

You may be entitled to:

Due to limited funds, loans and bonds are generally only available to households with dependent children. They are discretionary and the  decision about  whether  to agree one will be made by the Council. If the Council does agree to make you a loan you will have to pay it back, usually through regular monthly instalments. If the Council agrees to provide a Deposit Bond this will usually only be for the first 12 months of your tenancy so you will need to save up over that time so that you can pay the deposit yourself when the bond expires.

Credit Unions - Offer loans to their savers, you might want to think about starting to save towards a future move.