Housing Advice and Homelessness
We have a dedicated Housing Options Team who give advice on preventing homelessness. If you are at risk of becoming homeless within the next 8 weeks, we will help you try to prevent it under the Homeless Reduction Act.
Contact the Housing Options Team using our online form.
We will assess your situation and then work with you to draw up a Personal Housing Plan. Your Personal Housing Plan sets out reasonable steps you can take to stop you from becoming homeless. It also sets out what we will do and what other agencies can do to help you. To find out more information go to the Shelter website
We can provide advice on issues such as:
- Family and friends asking you to leave
- Rent and mortgage arrears or how to meet your mortgage/rent payments
- Budgeting & Debt advice
- How to protect and retrieve rent deposits
- Relationship breakdown and property rights
- Harassment and threats of illegal eviction
- Domestic abuse and fear of violence
- Unsuitable property or getting repairs made to your home
- Leaving supported accommodation, prison, hospital or other care
- Welfare Reform and Benefits
- Finding accommodation
How we can help
The first priority is to keep you in your home, if it is safe and reasonable to do so. This may involve negotiating with the person or company asking you to leave, checking your legal rights and the validity of any legal notices, helping you to make an affordable payment plan or refer you for other help and assistance such as debt or budgeting advice. If this is not successful we will support you to find and secure alternative accommodation.