Development plan updates
Braintree District’s Local Plan 2013-2033
The Local Plan 2033 is divided as Section 1 and Section 2.
- Section 1 was adopted in 2021
- Section 2 was adopted by Council 25th July 2022
The Local Plan 2013-2033 replaces the Local Plan Review 2005 and Core Strategy 2011 from 25th July 2022.
Conservation Area Appraisals
Section 69 of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 places a duty on local planning authorities to review their conservation areas from ‘time to time’. The purpose of the Conservation Area Appraisal is to provide an analysis of the conservation area which will inform future development and design with regard to the sensitivities of the Historic Environment and its unique character.
The Council sought the views of local residents and other stakeholder on the following documents between 9am 10th January and 5pm 7th February 2022:
- Braintree Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan
- Bradford Street Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan
The Council held and recorded a virtual webinar event via Microsoft Teams on 19th January 2022 for both the Braintree Town Centre and Bradford Street Conservation Area Character Appraisals and Management Plans.
Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) Updated February 2021
The SCI explains how we will involve local people in planning - setting out who and how we will engage residents and stakeholders. This includes public consultation of the Local Plan, Neighbourhood Plan and Supplementary Planning Documents, making comments on planning applications and how we will assist Neighbourhood Planning areas or forums.
The current SCI was adopted in 2020. In February 2021 the Statement of Community Involvement was updated to reflect changes in Government regulations, including Covid.
- Feering Neighbourhood Plan - Referendum took place on 27th October 2022 and will be considered for adoption by Full Council on 12th December 2022
- Witham Neighbourhood Plan - A Neighbourhood Area application was approved on 8th September 2022. The group are now working on a draft plan
- Kelvedon Neighbourhood Plan The Plan was made part of the Development Plan for Braintree District Council on 25th July 2022
- All Neighbourhood Plans
Local Plan Sub-Committee
Forthcoming scheduled Local Plan Sub-Committee dates are:
Local Development Order (LDO) - Horizon 120, Great Notley - Amended July 2021
We approved a Local Development Order (LDO) in April 2020 for the Horizon 120 Business and Innovation Park at Great Notley. The LDO provided planning permission for specific types of development on the site including B1, B2 and B8 employment uses, a hotel and a central facilities hub in a high quality environment. With recent changes in national policy and legislation, amendments to the LDO have been made to ensure it reflects current legislation. The amendments were approved by Council on 2nd August 2021.
- Horizon 120 LDO 2021
- Horizon 120 Design Code 2021
- Horizon 120 Statement of Reasons 2021
- Horizon 120 Wayfinding Strategy 2021
Essex Coast Recreational Disturbance Avoidance & Mitigation Strategy (RAMS) SPD
The Essex Coastal Recreational disturbance Avoidance and Mitigation Strategy (RAMS) Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) was adopted by the Council on 1st September 2020.
It sets out the mitigation that is necessary to protect the wildlife of the Essex coast from the increased visitor pressure associated with new residential development, and how this mitigation will be funded. It is necessary to meet the Council’s responsibilities under the Habitats Regulations.
The document was prepared in partnership with the Greater Essex Councils, under the guidance of Natural England. A public consultation was also undertaken which concluded on 21st February 2020.
The following documents support the adoption:
- Essex Coast RAMS SPD May 2020
- Essex Coast RAMS SEA/HRA Screening Report
- You Said We Did
- Braintree RAMS Adoption Statement
A tariff on new residential dwellings within the ‘Zone of Influence’ is now in operation, for further information please see our HRA pages.
Updated December 2022