Householder planning consent - Planning validation requirements

Back button/Page style

Back to validation homepage

Application type information


You can apply for Householder planning consent for proposals to alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary and garden.  

You can find guidance on common householder projects on the Planning portal.  


You can get help and advice from our Duty Planner on Householder planning consent and other types of planning applications. 

You can get detailed feedback on your proposal by using our pre-application advice service

Documents that are always required
Documents that are sometimes required

Depending on the details of your application, you may have to submit one or more of the following documents and information: 

  • Members and employees; On your application you must tell us if you are a Member of Braintree District Council or employed by us. We will determine any applications from Members or employees at a Planning Committee meeting. 
  • Amendment statement; needed if you are applying for revisions to an approved application 
  • Annexe accommodation justification statement; needed if your application is to create residential annexe accommodation within the curtilage of the host dwelling 
  • Biodiversity checklist; needed if your application is for a development that; 
    • is within the Impact Risk Zone 
    • within a Site of Special Scientific Interest 
    • within 100m of a national nature reserve or local nature reserve 
    • riggers a financial contribution (RAMS) 
    • has a local wildlife site, special roadside verge or priority habitat within 100m 
    • has protected or priority species located on or adjacent the site 
    • involves a conversion, modification, demolition or removal of buildings (including hotels, schools, hospitals, churches, commercial premises and derelict buildings 

You can find full guidance of when you need to submit a biodiversity checklist at the start of the document.  

  • Car parking and access – needed if your application includes hard standings, garages or car ports. 
  • Design and access statement; needed if your application is for  
    • a major development 
    • one or more dwellings in a conservation area 
    • new buildings in a conservation area over 100m2 
    • development in a World Heritage site 
  • Listed Building Sections; needed if your application includes: 
    • works at upper floor levels, where accommodation is being created beneath the roof. For example within the attic of a house, or the creation of first floor accommodation within a barn conversion 
    • attaching new signage to a listed building. Your listed building section drawings must show how you will attach the sign 
  • Flood risk assessment; needed if your application is for a development: 
    • of more 1 hectare or more in Flood Zone 1 
    • is located in Flood Zones 2 and 3 
    • in an area the Environment Agency or the Internal Drainage Boards have indicated there may have drainage problems 
  • Site levels; needed if your application is to  
    • is to amend a condition that refers to site levels 
    • is to discharge a condition that refers to site levels 
    • is to remove or vary a condition that refers to site levels 
    • is a proposal where there is a change in levels which would have a material effect in the locality 
  • Supporting information and photos; you can submit any supporting documents and  to help explain or justify your application 
  • Tree assessment; needed if your application includes works to protected tree(s) 

You may need additional permission if your proposal includes making a new vehicle access