Foul sewage assessment - Planning validation requirements

Back button/Page style

Back to validation homepage

Planning document information


A foul sewage assessment provides details of the system your are proposing for your development. 


The statement you submit should include an executive summary and be clear, easy to read and jargon free. 

Your foul sewage assessment must include details of the proposed alterations, replacement or new sewage system. 

We recommend that you discuss your proposal with Anglian Water before you make your application. They will check there is capacity within the existing network for the flows needed for your development. 

You can get help and advice from our Duty Planner on a foul sewage assessments and other types of planning applications. 

You can get detailed feedback on your proposal by using our pre-application advice service

Personal and confidential statement 

We may publish any information you submit as part of your application. You must tell us if there is any information you do not want us to publish when you submit your application.  

If however, we believe that this information is in the public interest, we reserve the right to publish it.  

We may also decide parts of your submission are not in the public interest and may redact this information. This information may include telephone numbers, email addresses and signatures. 

When you need to submit this information

Depending on the details of your application, you may have to submit a foul sewage assessment when you are making an application for: 

If your application is for one of these types of planning permission, you need to submit foul sewage assessment if your proposal: 

  • is for a major development 
  • is to create a new foul sewage system 
  • is to change or replace an existing foul sewage system 

You only need to submit an agricultural statement for residential new build, if your proposal is for agricultural workers dwellings. 

Validation requirements

Required by 

  • National requirement. You can find details of this requirement in the National Planning Policy Framework 
  • Local plan policy - LPP1
  • Local plan policy - LPP52
  • Local plan policy - LPP46
  • Local plan policy - LPP50
  • Local plan policy - LPP78

These policies can be found in the Local Plan 2013 - 2033 document