About the development plan
*Local Plan to 2033 - Section 2 was adopted by Council on 25th July 2022 (Section 1 was adopted in 2021). This has the effect of replacing the Local Plan Review 2005 and Core Strategy 2011*
Planning Policy prepare and publish Local Plans and supporting documents. The development plan sets out what, where, when, and how development is managed in the District.
The current adopted Braintree district development plan is made up of a number of documents:
- Local Development Scheme (LDS)
- Local Plan 2033
- Statement of Community Involvement (SCI)
- Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD's)
- Bradwell with Pattiswick Neighbourhood Plan
- Coggeshall Neighbourhood Plan
- Cressing Neighbourhood Plan
- Hatfield Peverel Neighbourhood Plan
- Kelvedon Neighbourhood Plan
- The Salings Neighbourhood Plan
- Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment
- Local Development Order (LDO) - Horizon 120
- Conservation Areas
- Conservation Area Reviews & Management Plans
- Essex Minerals Local Plan - July 2014
- Essex & Southend-on-Sea Waste Local Plan - July 2017
- Local Plan Review 2005 (superseded 25th July 2022)
- Core Strategy 2011 (superseded 25th July 2022)
The purpose of planning is to help achieve sustainable development (growth).
Planning law requires planning applications must be determined in accordance with the development plan. (unless material considerations indicate otherwise.)
Details of the production of The Braintree District Local Plan 2013-2033 which replaces the Local Plan 2005 and Core Strategy 2011 and further information is available:
|Production of The Local Plan 2013-2033||Section 2 Examination|
|Village Design Statements||Monitoring Reports|
|Self and Custom Build Homes||Neighbourhood Planning|
Braintree District Development Plan
The Braintree District Local Plan 2013-2033
Supplementary Planning Documents
Sustainable Environmental Assessment.(SEA)
Sustainability Appraisal (SA)
The Essex and Southend Waste Local Plan
Essex Minerals Local Plan
Adopted July 2014
The Plan must meet the requirements of the National Planning Policy Framework. (NPPF) The plan sets out the government's planning policies for England, and how they are expected to be applied. This is supported by government Planning Practice Guidance. (PPG)
The NPPF contains a presumption in favour of sustainable development.
The Plan must be based on a proportionate, up-to-date, and relevant evidence base about the economic, social, and environmental characteristics and prospects of the area.
Monitoring reports assess progress in preparing local development documents and monitor progress in delivering homes, employment and other development. Information about the 5-year housing supply of specific deliverable sites is published in this document.
Updated November 2022