Premises licence

Transfer a Premises licence

If you become the new owner of a licensed premises, your are responsible for making sure they are correctly licensed.

The best way to do this is to for the new owner to apply to transfer the existing Premises licence into their name as soon as possible.

Apply to transfer a premises 

As well as applying to transfer the licence, the current licence holder must sign a form giving their consent to the transfer.

If this is not possible, then you must give a full explanation on your application form.

Give consent to transfer a licence

If you do not want to use the online application form, you must send your application to our Licensing team. You must also include:

  • the original version of the current Premises licence
  • the signed consent form of the current licence holder

You must also send a copy of the application to transfer the licence to Essex Police Licensing unit.

Designated Premises Supervisor

You may also have to apply to vary the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) if

  • the premises is licensed to sell alcohol and
  • the existing DPS will no longer be authorising the sale of alcohol for any reason

You can contact our Licensing team if you have any questions about transferring a Premises licence.


Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today