Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Apply for Council Tax Support

Apply for Council Tax Support


Coronavirus (COVID-19) Electronic applications

As a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) we are taking steps to delay the potential spread of the virus.  As such we only wish you to apply electronically. You should NOT come to our offices to hand in this information.The information must be provided within 1 month. If you do not provide the information requested it will delay your claim.

Apply online

Apply for Housing Benefits/ Council Tax Support using our online form. This is for new claiments only.

Apply for Housing Benefits/ Council Tax Support

Who is entitled to Council Tax Support?

Almost everyone with a low income or on benefits who pay rent and/or has a liability to pay council tax could receive help towards their payments.

  • If you have savings and investments totaling more than £16,000 (apart from some pensioners on Guarantee Pension Credit) you are not likely to receive help.

Housing benefit is available for housing association and private tenants who are entitled to help with their rent. How much help is available varies according to:

  • Family circumstances.
  • Income and savings.
  • The people you have living with you.
  • Outgoings are not taken into account.

Am I eligible for Council Tax Support

To determine if you qualify for any benefit, use the benefits calculator which will also give you an indication of any possible award that may be given to you.

Benefits Calculator

What do I need to make a claim?

We must see the latest original documents supplied with your application and we need the same proof for you, your partner (if you have one) and any other adults living in your home.

Braintree Local Council Tax Support scheme.