Appeal our decision about your benefit claim or council tax support decision

If you disagree with our decision you should inform us within one month. You can:

  • ask for an explanation
  • dispute a decision
  • appeal against a decision 

Ask us to explain our decision

If you think the decision is wrong you should write ask us to explain it.

You must write to us within one month of the date on the decision letter.

When we receive your request for an explanation, we will send you a statement of reasons for our decision as soon as possible. If you think that we have missed something or made a mistake, please tell us straight away. You must do this in writing.

Dispute our decision

Once we have given you the reasons for our decision, if you still disagree with our decision you can write to us to dispute it.

When you ask to look at a decision again we will check that the decision is correct.

If we made the wrong decision was wrong,  we will change it and let you know

If we don’t change the decision, we will send you a letter which confirms our original decision.

Appeal our decision

If you aren’t happy with the outcome of your dispute, you can appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal.

You must make your appeal within one month the later of either:

  • the date of our original decision letter or
  • the date of our  letter telling you we weren’t changing our decision

You can contact the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal if you need help with your appeal.

Benefits Advice

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 557852

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today