Apply for a second adult rebate

You should read about applying for Council Tax support before you make an application for a second adult rebate.

If you do not get Council Tax support due to high income or savings, you could still receive up to 25% off your bill if:

  • you are of pensionable age and
  • there is a second adult or adults occupying your home

Second adults must be on a low income in order for you to qualify for second adult rebate.

If you want to claim a second adult rebate, the second adult or adults sharing your home must not be:

  • your partner
  • paying rent
  • liable for the Council Tax
  • a joint owner or tenant
  • already disregarded for a discount on your Council Tax bill: for example you must not be getting a student discount of 25%

If you make a claim for a second adult rebate, we will use our system to check look at whether Council Tax support or second adult rebate will give you the biggest reduction off your Council Tax bill. We will award the benefit or rebate that will suit your needs.

Apply online

You can apply for a second adult rebate using our online form. This is for new claimants only.

Apply for Second Adlut rebate

To make a claim you will need:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • the full names and dates of birth of everyone who lives with you, and what their relationship is to you
  • your National Insurance number
  • the amount of rent you pay, including a breakdown of any service charges
  • the name and address of your landlord
  • the date you  moved in to your property
  • the account number and sort code of all your bank accounts
  • the amount of savings, capital and investments you have
  • the name of your employer
  • how much you earn
  • to tell us if you get any other benefits or tax credits, including what they are and how much you get
  • how much child maintenance you get, and how often you get it
  • to tell us if you get child care costs, how much you get, how often you get it and which child it's for
  • to tell us if you have any other income, and how much you get

If you live with your partner or have any non-dependents living with you, you will also need to give us their details.

Where we ask you for documents to support your application, you must supply:

  • original documents
  • the latest copies
  • the same proof for you, your partner (if you have one) and any other adults living in your home

You need to make your second adult rebate claim as soon as possible. We can’t backdate second adult rebate claims, so you will lose money if you don’t make your claim.

You may find it easier to complete the second adult rebate claim form on a desktop computer rather than on a smartphone or tablet.

You can save the form as you fill it in and come back and complete it later.

How we pay second adult rebate

We apply your second adult rebate to your Council Tax account. This means that your Council Tax bill will show the reduced amount that you have to pay.

After we receive your application

Once we have received your application, we will decide:

  • if you should receive a second adult rebate and send you a new bill
  • or tell you why you won't receive a second adult rebate and write to you to explain why

Appeal our decision

If you think that our decision about your application is wrong, you can ask us to explain it or make an appeal.

False information

When you submit your application for a second adult rebate, you declare that the information you have given is true to the best of your knowledge.

Benefits Advice

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 557852

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today