Website Technical Difficulties

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with some elements of our website. Please see our page for more details regarding the affected services.

Affected Services
Apply for Universal Credit

Apply for Universal Credit

The way to claim Housing Benefit is changing!

From  October 2017 Universal Credit Full Sevice will be rolled out to the Braintree District to make a brand new claim for Housing Costs or any of the five main benefits below  you will need to claim Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) either online at or by telephone: 0345 6000723.  

  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Jobseekers Allowance (income-based)

Please check your postcode to find out when this applies to you

Check your postcode

To find out what you may be entitled to, you can visit:

If you need help with your Universal Credit claim contact the Benefits Team at Braintree District Council or email

If you are already receiving one of the six benefits above and have a relevant change of circumstances that leads you to making a new claim for one of the main benefits you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit.

For example, if you currently receive Housing Benefit only and decide to make a new claim for Tax Credits, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit at the DWP which will include your Housing Benefit instead of claiming this from us.

For more information

GOV.UK - Universal Credit