Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Apply for Housing Benefits

Apply for Housing Benefits

Please note: For most working age customers Housing Benefit payments have been replaced by Universal Credit. This will apply if you are making a new claim or have a change in circumstances. If you are unsure please call us on 01376 557852. 

Please check your postcode to find out when this applies to you

Check your postcode

Apply online for Housing Benefits/Council Tax Support - New claims only

Download a PDF form and apply for Housing Benefits

View the Housing Benefits FAQ section

If you are on a low income you could be entitled to have help with paying your rent or council tax.

Housing Benefit or Universal Credit

You can apply for Housing Benefit if you are:

  • pension age; or
  • living in temporary or supported accommodation. Please telephone us on 01376 557852 to clarify if your accommodation is under this category.
  • In receipt of Employment Support Allowance which must include Severe Disability Premium

Complete an Online Housing Benefit and Local Council Tax Support Claim Form

If you are working age and none of the above applies to you, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit via the Department for Work and Pensions (your local Job Centre Plus).You can find out more information on the universal credit webpages.