Energy efficient homes

Grants and funding

Help with Energy Bills

With rising energy bills, many people are concerned about how they will be able to afford the increase and continue to heat their home.

If you were born before 25 September 1958 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills. This is known as a ‘Winter Fuel Payment'. 

There are a number of schemes, grants and advice available to help with energy bills;

Home Upgrade Grant

Home Upgrade Grant (HUG2) is a Government grant scheme designed to fund energy-efficiency upgrades to residents with off-gas-grid heating systems who are most likely to be impacted by the high cost of rising bills.

These improvements will help residents to use less energy and spend less on their energy bills. 

How it helps:

  • Energy saving technology and upgrades installed by approved installers
  • Creating warmer, healthier homes
  • Helping to cut carbon emissions
  • Funding available for homes with off gas grid heating systems

The energy-efficiency grants will cover a range of energy-saving home improvements designed to balance the needs of residents with carbon reduction and grant availability.

Measures installed using HUG2 funding must be completed by the delivery deadline of 31 March 2025.

The scheme is administered by Warmworks, for further details or to register your interest, please contact Warmworks on 0808 196 8255 or visit

If you require further advice, please email 

Accessing financial support if you use home oxygen equipment

With the rising cost of living, please remember, you can be reimbursed for the electricity used by your oxygen concentrator.

Information on how to access financial support whilst utilising oxygen.

You are also entitled to join the priority services register with your energy supplier which includes:

  • Priority support in an emergency
  • Being informed of planned power cuts

Please contact your energy supplier to arrange this if not already in place.

Further information available from OFGEM and Asthma and Lung UK

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Scheme

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Scheme was first introduced in 2013 and places legal obligations on large energy suppliers to deliver energy efficiency measures to domestic properties. 

ECO4  (2022-2026) aims to support the least energy efficient properties, with SAP Bands D-G and targeting residents on low incomes.  Measures may include replacement heating systems, insulation and renewable energy technologies.

The ECO Flex scheme offers residents an additional qualifying route who are not in receipt of a qualifying benefit but are however, on a low income (under £31,000) or vulnerable to the effects of living in a cold home.  The Flex scheme is administered by Essex County Council who has partnered with Better Housing, Better Health to deliver the scheme across Essex.  Better Housing, Better Health will provide further clarification regarding your circumstances and which qualification route you may be eligible for.  As survey will need to be undertaken to determine if the property is eligible, as not all properites qualify.  Please contct Better Housing, Better Health on 0800 1070044 or visit 

We have published our new Statement of Intent 2023, detailing the routes residents may qualify for energy efficiency improvements. The previous Statement of Intent 2022 was superseded on 10 October 2023.

For further information or to discuss your eligibility, please contact the Sustainability Team on 01376 552525.

Major Housing Grant

We make major housing grants for:

  • installing hot water or heating systems
  • repairing hot water or heating systems

You can apply for a major housing grant if you are:

  • an owner occupier of a property
  • a leaseholder with at least five years lease remaining and have a repairing responsibility for the property

The property you want to repair, must be your only or main residence and must have been in your ownership for at least three years. For first time buyers, you must have owned the property for at least 12 months.

Major housing grants are means-tested and you must repay the grant in full when you sell or transfer the property.

You can contact us to apply for a major housing grant.

Minor Works Assistance

Minor works grants go towards the cost of undertaking repairs not covered by the Decent Homes standard that if left will have a detrimental effect on the fabric of the dwelling or mobile home.

You can only apply for a minor works grant if you are receiving an income related benefit.

You must repay the grant in full when you sell or transfer the property.

You can contact us to apply for a minor works grant.

Disabled Facilities Grants

You can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) if:

  • you or a member of your family has a disability
  • you need to adapt your home to make it suitable for a person with disabilities

You can check GOV.UK for information about what you’ll get and who can apply for a DFG.

To apply for a DFG, you need to contact the occupational therapy team from Essex County Council’s Adult Social Care.

Essex Essential Living Fund

Anyone can apply for this funding. You will need to answer questions about your income, earnings and savings. You also need to give proof of your financial situation.

The Essential Living Fund can help pay for:

  • furniture
  • household furnishings
  • white goods
  • clothing and footwear, including school uniforms in exceptional circumstances
  • general living expenses such as groceries, nappies, toiletries and money for pay-as-you-go fuel meters

The Essex Essential Living Fund has replaced Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants.

You must live in Essex and apply through Southend Borough Council.

Essex Cultural Diversity Project (ECDP)

ECDP will be managing a food and fuel fund within its network of organisations supporting culturally diverse communities to ensure they have access to support and funding as needed.

You can get apply for support through Essex Cultural Diversity Project.


Green Doctor

Groundwork East offers the Green Doctor Service throughout the Essex area, focusing on Colchester, Braintree and Harlow. The service works with residents living in fuel poverty that may be struggling to pay their utility bills or to keep their homes warm to better get control of their energy usage, get on top of utility bills including utility debts, in order to live in warmer homes and have a better quality of life.

Services offered:

  • Look at funding to improve home energy efficiency i.e. insulation, new boilers
  • Switching energy companies
  • Energy awareness advice for residents themselves
  • Help to pay off debts by applying to grants or setting up payment plans
  • Onward referrals i.e. Anglian Water Priority Services Team
  • Free energy saving measures;
    • LED light bulbs
    • Draught proofing
    • Radiator panels
    • Letter flap and door brushes
    • Hot water bottles
    • Water saving shower heads

Although the service is free there are qualifying criteria:

  • Anyone aged over 65
  • Anyone living on a low income or with debt
  • Anyone with mental or physical medical conditions, especially ones exacerbated by the cold i.e. arthritis, asthma, cardiovascular conditions
  • Young families who have children under the age of 5
  • Anyone living in emergency housing or poor housing conditions
  • Pregnant women

Initially a first consultation is had, with the option of a second if needed as well as a follow up call to see how the suggested actions and recommendations are going.

Residents can get in touch directly through or by calling 077 0294 1440.

Visit the Green Doctors website to request a referral.

Braintree District Council Handyman Scheme

We offer a free service for residents aged 65 and over or vulnerable owner occupiers and private tenants to help keep you safe and well. The service does not cover plumbing or electrical work and does not include maintenance work or gardening

In terms of helping keep homes warm, they can help with radiator bleeding, hot water tank jacket, trickle vents, replace curtain rails and loft clearance to enable loft insulation to be installed.

Contact the Sustainability Team on 01376 552525 for information on criteria and eligibility.

Residents who are Social Tenants (eg Eastlight) should contact their own Housing Association.

Customer Services

Address: Causeway House,
Bocking End,

Telephone: 01376 552525

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today