Grey bins

Grey waste bins

On this page you can: 

  • request a replacement bin if yours is broken or lost
  • request a bin if you have just moved into a property where there is none
  • apply for a larger or additional bin
  • apply for an assisted collection

We provide a wheeled grey bin for the waste that you cannot recycle or compost. This bin must be left at your property when you move. If you need more capacity, please apply from your new address using the form at the bottom of this page.

View more information on recycling and our excess waste procedure

You can search and find more details on what can and cannot go in your grey bin.

If you run a business from home, you cannot dispose of any waste arising from it with your domestic waste. You can look at our pages on commercial waste to see how we can help you.

Request a replacement bin

If you have lost or damaged your bin, you can ask for a new one online. There is no charge to replace your bin. If you need a larger or additional bin, you can complete the form linked further down this page. 

To complete this form, you will need to tell us:

  • your name, address and contact details
  • what bin you need replaced

What can go in your grey bin

You can put most non-recyclable waste in your grey bin such as:

  • dirty, wet or greasy card or paper
  • hard plastics
  • nappies and sanitary products
  • pet bedding, cat litter and faeces
  • polystyrene packaging
  • porcelain and ceramics
  • tissues, tissue paper, napkins and wipes
  • wallpaper
  • wipes and used paper towel

You can take soft plastic items, for example bubble wrap, cling film, plastic film, cellophane, fruit nets and crisp and snack packets, to some supermarkets for recycling. Check to find out where your nearest collection point is. 

What can't go in your grey bin

We can't empty your grey bin if you put in:

  • bricks, rubble, bags of concrete, plasterboard, asbestos
  • construction waste, eg sand, paving slabs
  • car and motorbike parts, tyres
  • commercial, industrial or clinical waste
  • electrical items
  • hazardous waste such as batteries, pesticides and so on
  • waste from house clearances

We will only collect waste that is in the bin with the lid shut. We will not collect additional bags on top of or near the bin.

Apply for a larger or additional bin

A 180 litre bin is big enough for a family of up to four people, if you separate out all your recyclable waste.

You may qualify for a larger or additional bin if:

  • you have a larger family
  • you have one or more members in disposable nappies or incontinence pads
  • you have a household member who has a medical condition that generates significant additional waste.

None of the above guarantees that you will be allocated more capacity.

There is no charge for larger or additional bins.

Apply for a larger or additional bin

The following apply to all applications: 

  • We do not take pet waste into account when assessing for a larger bin 
  • You should recycle all recyclable waste, including food waste and glass bottles and jars. We carry out monitoring to check that you put your recycling and food waste out for collection
  • We reserve the right to review grey bin capacity periodically. We may withdraw additional or larger bins if your circumstances have changed
  • Once we have accepted your request for an additional or larger grey bin, we will deliver it within four weeks.

New builds

If you are living in a newly built property and do not have bins, you can request for bins to be delivered to you by completing our request new bins form.

When we collect grey bins

We collect grey bins fortnightly all year.

You can find your collection dates online or on your collection calendar.

We will only collect waste that is in the bin with the lid shut. We will not collect additional bags on top or near the bin. 

Assisted collections

We understand that not everyone is able to bring their bins to the collection point.

We offer assistance where there is a genuine need. Find out more about requesting an assisted collection.

Storing your bins

You should store your wheeled grey bin within the boundary of your property between collections. You should only put your bin out for collection by 7am on the day of your collection.

Leaving bins or waste outside the boundary of your property between collections is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.


Customer Services

Address: Causeway House,
Bocking End,

Telephone: 01376 552525

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today