The funeral and other arrangements
Once we have accepted responsibility for the funeral, our Cemeteries Service team will make all the arrangements. This includes:
- registering the death
- making arrangements with the funeral directors
- paying for the funeral
The funeral will be the most economical funeral available. The burial will take place in a common or public grave unless the deceased owned a grave.
We will arrange a simple but dignified funeral, with no discretionary items such as:
- ministers or celebrants
- grave markers or memorials
We are not able to:
- accommodate requests from relatives that will incur extra costs that we have to pay
- accept contributions for extra items at the funeral
Our contracted funeral directors will provide everything necessary for the funeral, including:
- a coffin
- transport of the deceased to the cemetery in a hearse,
- enough bearers to transfer the coffin to the grave
We will notify any known family and friends about the place, date and time of the funeral.
Family and friends are welcome to attend the grave-side service, but will not be able to choose where and when we have arranged the funeral for. We will not provide transport for family/friends.
You can contact our Cemeteries team for more information or to ask for a copy of this procedure.